Opens Friday, February 23, 2018
They light up our lives, but have you ever wondered how? Delve into the world of living things that blink, glow, flash, and flicker, from tiny fireflies to strange creatures in the ocean depths. The new exhibition Creatures of Light explores the mysterious world of bioluminescence and biofluorescence, visible light emitted by living things. This enlightening experience features larger-than-life models, engaging immersive environments, fun activities, and real animals, fungi, and minerals that get their glow on.
- Peek into the darkness of a New Zealand cave and look up to see twinkling over your head—not from stars but from simulated glowworms.
- Journey to Puerto Rico and stroll across an interactive lagoon as you light up a trail of flashes from tiny “pyrotechnic” plankton.
- Explore a North American meadow filled with flashing fireflies and try your hand at re-creating their dazzling mating signals.
- Marvel at gigantic models of bioluminescent mushrooms, fireflies, and jellyfish.
- Explore a coral reef interactive that shows how different light makes coral glow shades of pink, orange, and green.
- Peer into a tank of live GloFish and discover how their fluorescence helps detect pollution and contributes to medical research.
- Put minerals, scorpions, and everyday objects to the test in the “Does It Glow?” activity.