The airy new plaza outside the Museum’s new wing has been dedicated as the Boettcher Plaza in recognition of the Boettcher Foundation’s decades-long history of supporting the Museum. The new plaza was dedicated at a special event on July 17. The Foundation’s recent grants helped construct and equip the new wing.
Since 1947, Boettcher Foundation grants to the Museum have totaled more than $6 million and supported a variety of key capital projects including
- An addition to the west side, dedicated in 1953, that stood for nearly 50 years
- Diorama halls in the Charles Boettcher II Wing on Level 2, including Edge of the Wild and Australia and South Pacific Hall
- Boettcher North American Wildlife Hall and Africa Hall
- Phipps IMAX Theater and the T-Rex Cafe and Deli
- Prehistoric Journey, Space Odyssey, and Expedition Health permanent exhibitions
- Morgridge Family Exploration Center and Rocky Mountain Science Collections Center
In addition, Claude K. Boettcher served on the Museum’s Board of Trustees from 1928 to 1957.
Founded in 1937 by Claude K. Boettcher and his father, Charles, the Boettcher Foundation invests in Colorado through “minds and mortar.” The Foundation funds scholarships, biomedical research, and teacher training, as well as capital grants for nonprofits.
Foundation leaders say they want the plaza to serve as a testament to the power of charitable giving and as a reminder that cultural institutions like the Museum help make Colorado the wonderful place it is. They hope others will be inspired to start their own traditions of giving.
The Boettcher Plaza dedication also honored two outgoing Trustees of the Boettcher Foundation, Pamela D. Beardsley and Edward D. White, both of whom have deep ties to the Museum:
- Pam Beardsley is a Trustee Emeritus who served on the Museum’s board from 1990 to 2009, including three years as board chair and two years on the DMNS Foundation board.
- Ted White’s great grandfather, Henry M. Porter, was among the Museum’s founders. White’s great uncle, John T. Mason, voluntarily helped manage the Museum and curate the collections from 1901 to 1910, and in 1918 donated his worldwide collection of more than 20,000 butterflies and moths to the Museum.