As a volunteer excavator you will be a part of a crew working to excavate units using shovels and trowels, screening sediment to locate artifacts, and completing detailed field forms. Field archaeology involves physical labor outdoors, including movement in and around open excavation units and across uneven terrain. A variety of hand tools are required for many tasks. This opportunity is available to individuals with or without experience. As a excavator you will have the ability to learn from other volunteers and professional archaeologists. While no experience is required, we may give preference to individuals with a specific interest in archaeology such as students or avocational archaeologists.
Due to the amount of interest in this project, space is limited. Applications will be reviewed and notifications of acceptance to the project will be emailed by May 7.
- Create a welcoming atmosphere for other volunteers, guests, and staff by being friendly, informed, and enthusiastic
- Understand the training materials and be informed and updated on on-site activities
- Adhere to any excavation procedures and/or policies developed by the Denver Museum of Nature & Science and Paleocultural Research Group (PCRG) teams
- Ability to spend up to eight hours performing physical tasks in various weather conditions
- Excavation work can be strenuous in terms of physical work and working conditions and volunteers working at excavations must be in good physical condition, or know their limitations and only agree to volunteer within those limitations
Training will occur during your first day on the site
Applicants must be able to volunteer for a minimum of three shifts, preferably consecutive days. Shifts are 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. There are two sessions; Session 1: June 18 to June 27 and Session 2: July 5 to July 15. Preference may be given to those with more availability.
Due to the proximity of the site to Denver, DMNS and PCRG will not be providing a camp area. Volunteers traveling from outside the Denver area will be responsible for finding their own lodging arrangements.
Minimum Age Requirement
Available to individual applicants 18 years of age or older.
How To Apply
Current Volunteers at the Denver Museum of Nature & Science
If you are a current volunteer at DMNS email [email protected] with the subject heading Magic Mountain and include your full name in the message. You will receive an email response with additional instructions.
Not a Current Volunteer at the Denver Museum of Nature & Science
Please complete the online Adult Volunteer Application.
For questions about the application process please contact Moe Shuley at [email protected] or 303.370.8345.
For questions regarding the Excavator position and shifts contact Britni Rockwell at [email protected] or 303.439.4098.