Make an Impact at Science on Tap
Science on Tap, which started as a fun benefit for the Museum’s Young Professionals, has grown into a very popular fundraising event over the past several years. Don’t miss this year’s opportunity to join about 500 enthusiastic young leaders from our community as you experiment, build, connect, sip, taste and dance, all while supporting science education. Mark your calendar for Thursday, May 20. This year’s virtual Science on Tap will once again combine fun, immersive science with music and cocktails to create a truly unique and interactive evening for 21+ guests in a way only the Museum can! Adam Beaves, philanthropic programs manager, is looking forward to telling you more about how your company or organization can make an impact in our community and elevate you company’s visibility. Contact Adam for sponsorship or bulk ticket discount information at 303.370.8251 or [email protected].
Discover the Benefits of Upgrading
Do you want an all-access pass to discovery? Then you’ll want to upgrade to Giving Club membership! In addition to supporting scientific research and education, upgrading your membership to the Giving Club’s Curator level gives you free tickets and special access throughout the year to events and exhibits— even when they’re sold out! Design your own adventure with complimentary Flex Tickets (14) for you or your friends and family to use for popular exhibitions such as "SUE: The T. rex Experience" and "Stonehenge.” Flex Tickets can also be used for select evening lectures and IMAX and Planetarium shows. Flex Tickets let you design your benefits based on your personal interests. Receive invitations to special events throughout the year, including the popular Behind-the-Scenes Night and IMAX Night, just for Giving Club members. Enjoy first access to summer camp registration, even before other members! As a Giving Club member, your gift supports ongoing scientific research, preserves rare artifacts and fuels lifelong discovery in the millions of people served by Museum exhibitions and programs. Upgrade today by logging in to your online Museum account and start enjoying additional benefits right away. Find out more at dmns.org/givingclub or call 303.370.6306. Monthly installment plans start at just $42 per month.
Cares Act Extension for 2021
Below are a few provisions of the CARES Act extension that may affect you and your charitable goals:
Required Minimum Distributions Suspended
The law continues the 2020 suspension for required minimum distributions (RMD) for the 2021 tax year. Many of our donors use their RMD to make a gift to the Museum from their IRA. Despite the RMD suspension, remember that if you are 70½ or older, you can still make a gift from your IRA or name the Denver Museum of Nature & Science as a beneficiary.
Why a Gift From Your IRA May Still Be a Good Idea
- Your gift will be put to use today, allowing you to see the difference your donation is making.
- You pay no income taxes on the gift. The transfer generates neither taxable income nor a tax deduction, so you benefit even if you do not itemize your deductions.
- Since the gift doesn’t count as income, it can reduce your annual income level. This may help lower your Medicare premiums and decrease the amount of Social Security that is subject to tax.
The CARES Act expands charitable giving incentives and allows individual taxpayers who take the standard deduction to make up to $300 of charitable contributions to qualified charities this year. New in 2021 is an additional “above-the-line” deduction for those married filing jointly. Joint filers (who aren’t itemizing) will be allowed to take an above-the-line deduction of up to $600 in cash contributions to charity this year. You might think that this is a small amount and would not make a difference. But what if all of our donors gave “just” $300 or $600? Such support would have a huge impact on those we serve.
For those who do itemize their deductions, the CARES extension allows for cash contributions to qualified charities such as the Denver Museum of Nature & Science to be deducted up to 100 percent of your adjusted gross income for the 2021 calendar year.
Your Charitable Goals
We are deeply grateful for your continued kindness and support during this difficult time. Please contact Megan Fisher at [email protected] or 303.370.8259 to discuss how your gift can help further our mission before 2021 ends. Please note: the Museum does not provide tax advice. Please consult your advisors for guidance based on your individual situation.
Designate the Museum as a Beneficiary
Did you know that your passion for nature and science can be passed on from generation to generation? It's easy to make it happen!
Simply name the Denver Museum of Nature & Science as a beneficiary on a retirement plan or a life insurance policy and be assured that your legacy will continue to empower our community for years to come. Beneficiary designations are an easy and flexible way for you to give because they can be adjusted anytime by simply contacting your plan/policy provider. For more information, go to dmns.planmylegacy.org.
Get the Most From Your Membership
- Visit anytime for free 364 days a year!
- Share your free guest general admission ticket(s) with friends or family.
- Make sure your eCard is up to date with version 4.01.03 or higher, or download your free eCard if you haven't yet. Find out more at dmns.org/ecard.
- Read weekly emails with exclusive virtual content, tips, and special offers. Not hearing from us by email? Send your address to [email protected]
- Keep your membership current with Auto-Renew. Enroll on line or by calling 303.370.6306 (daily, 9-5) and get a free gift. Your expiration date is printed on the mail label on the back of this magazine.
- Use your eCard! Receive free or reduced admission at 360 science centers and museums outside a 90- mile radius of Denver and your residence through the ASTC Passport Program, astc.org/passport.
- Upgrade to the Family Plus level or higher and enjoy free admission to the Fort Collins Museum of Discovery.
- Add your nanny or babysitter to your membership for only $50. Because memberships are nontransferable, it is important to not lend your card to someone who isn't named on the membership. The addon member enjoys many benefits. Not valid on Individual level memberships.
Thank You for Your Support!
Your membership helps us provide outstanding science education programs, exhibitions, and research.