Bird Watching in Your Neighborhood
Make observations of birds in your neighborhood by keeping a birdwatching journal.
Age: Grades K-8
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Activity Time: 30-60 minutes
- Print at least one copy of the Birding Journal with pictures
- Go on a birding walk in your neighborhood.
- Write in your journal: How many birds did you see? What kinds of birds did you see? Where were they (in a tree, on the ground, flying, etc.)?
- Take pictures of any birds you can’t identify or write down a description of the bird.
- Continue birding for one whole week. Choose different times of day and keep a record of what you see and hear in your Birding Journal
- Research any birds you can’t identify using bird identification books or online resources
- At the end of the week (or day), draw a picture of the birds in your neighborhood. Include where you saw them, their colors and markings, and label your drawing with bird names.
- Frame it! Stick it on your fridge!