Build a Space Colony
Build a colony that could sustain human life on Mars
(Photo courtesy of NASA/JPL)
Age: Grades 3-5
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Activity Time: 60 minutes
- Blocks such as Keva Planks (optional)
- Masking Tape
- Construction Paper
- Talk about why we might colonize in space
- Plan and discuss (10-15 minutes) how to build your colony (materials & structure) and consider the different things you'll need to live well.
- Think about daily life in a colony and what that would be like.
- Allow about 30 minutes to build your colony
- Ask these prompting questions:
- Where does water come from?
- How are colonist getting their food?
- Where do they live and where do they work? What is their work?
- Have students present their colony to others, explaining each component they built and why.