The Discovery Zone—made possible by Kaiser Permanente—is bursting with activities that help build a strong foundation of science skills in young children through hands-on, highly experiential Museum experiences.
Exhibits, activities, and programs focus on science process skills, such as observing, quantifying, inquiring, analyzing, creating, and communicating. Children can "excavate" fossils, manipulate and observe water in action, experiment with building methods and materials, and conduct investigations and create art projects.
Enjoy a special guest in the Explorers Playhouse on the third Monday of the month from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- August 21: Celebrate this year's historic solar eclipse with a super special guest--the moon!
Our youngest visitors also enjoy these areas of the Museum:
- AstroTot Training, Space Odyssey, Level 1: Strap on a jet-pack and take off for space from the kid-sized shuttle flight deck.
- Tykes Peak, Expedition Health, Level 2: Multisensory experiences, such as shadow play and testing your heart beat, get kids’ bodies moving.
- Wildlife Halls, Levels 2 & 3: Count baby animals, hunt for colors, and visit the new kid-sized statues of black bear cubs and a fur seal pup in Bears and Sea Mammals Hall.
- Camp PaleoPals, Prehistoric Journey, Level 3: Puppets, books, puzzles, and real fossils on display get kids excited about our ancient world.