Long before the internet and overnight deliveries, the Silk Road connected humanity. Under vast starry skies, across some of the most treacherous landscapes, this legendary trade route stretched 4,600 miles from China through Central Asia to the Middle East and the Roman Empire. Along the way were the world’s most progressive cities, teeming with the lively exchange of exotic goods and new ideas. In the exhibition Traveling the Silk Road, you will take a journey accented by the spectacular sight of camel caravans, the pungent scent of spices, the luster of exquisite silks, and the energy of creative thinking. Immerse yourself in the ancient pathway that led to the modern world.
- Explore bazaars filled with gems and handicrafts
- Watch live silkworms at work
- See ancient scrolls filled with the secrets of technology and religious beliefs
- Look inside a long-ago cargo ship
- Examine astronomy tools that helped mariners navigate the seas