Museum policy on collecting information on the Museum Website and Digital Membership Card
When you order a product from the Museum Online Store, we need to know your name, billing and shipping addresses, telephone number, e-mail address, and credit card information to process your order. Your credit card information will be used only as needed to process your transaction.
Online Memberships and Donations
When you purchase a Museum membership or make a donation to the Museum online, we will ask you to provide us with the information we need to process your membership, acknowledge your contribution, and provide your membership and admission benefits. This information includes your name and names of other members on your account (including birthdates of children on the account), billing and/or shipping addresses, telephone number, e-mail address, and credit card information. Your credit card information will be used only as needed to process your transaction.
SMS/Email Transactional Usage:
You may opt to receive SMS-delivered one-time password (OTP) codes to ensure secure access to our eCard app. This additional layer of protection guarantees that only you can access your account. Your security remains our utmost priority, and we are dedicated to providing you with the best possible experience.
In our continuous efforts towards progress, we offer you the convenience of viewing and receiving receipts and tickets through SMS/text messaging. This option not only enhances your experience but is also environmentally friendly.
By selecting the option to receive your one-time password (OTP) via SMS, you hereby consent to receiving text messages from us for the purpose of delivering these OTP codes. This agreement encompasses communication related to security, authentication, and any other essential notifications associated with your account. Standard message and data rates may apply. You retain the right to opt out of receiving these text messages at any time by texting 'STOP' to the text sent, or by contacting our customer support. Your choice to receive OTPs via SMS constitutes your acknowledgment and acceptance of these terms.
Please note that opting out may cause a disruption and prevent receiving your OTP option via SMS.
Email Receipts and One-Time Passwords (OTP)
For your online transactions, we will be sending receipts via email. This shift aims to provide you with a more convenient and environmentally friendly method of tracking your purchases and transactions with us.
You may opt to receive email-delivered one-time password (OTP) codes to ensure secure access to our eCard app. This additional layer of protection guarantees that only you can access your account. Your security remains our utmost priority, and we are dedicated to providing you with the finest possible experience.
From time to time, the Museum may invite you to participate in surveys posted on the Museum Website or sent to you by e-mail. You may decide whether or not you wish to complete such surveys, which may ask about your background, occupation, or similar questions. We use this information to help us better understand our audience, which in turn allows us to better meet your needs and interests.
The Museum will occasionally offer visitors the opportunity to participate in online contests or sweepstakes. If you choose to enter, you will need to provide your name and e-mail address so that we may contact you in connection with the contest. We may also request that you provide us with certain other information, such as your zip code, state of residence and grade in school (provided that you are at least thirteen years of age).
Children Twelve and Under
The Museum does not solicit personal information from children. Visitors twelve years of age and under should remember that they are required to obtain an adult's permission before submitting any personal information to this or any other website.
As a service, the Museum offers visitors to the Museum Website the opportunity to subscribe to one or more of our online newsletters, a service hosted by a contractor that has agreed to use the e-mail address you provide only to send e-news to you. If you choose to subscribe, you will receive the Museum E-News on the topics you choose. You may subscribe or unsubscribe at any time by following the E-News instructions.
Cookies are small files of information that are stored on your computer's hard drive by your Web browser. The cookies we use do not contain any personal information. Most Web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can change the preferences of your browser so that it does not accept them. In order to use all the features of the Museum Online Store, we recommend that you accept cookies.
The Museum policy on the use and disclosure of the information it collects on the Museum Website and Digital Membership Card
The Museum uses the personal information you provide to us for internal purposes, such as filling and tracking your order, analyzing trends and collecting statistics. The Museum may also compile and provide aggregate statistics about our visitors, customers, sales, traffic patterns and related site information to third parties, but these statistics will not include any personally identifying information.
We do not sell our purchaser, visitor, member or donor information. As is the common practice for nonprofits to attract new members, we may exchange the names and postal addresses we receive from members with other similar nonprofit organizations. If you do not want to have your information used in this way, you may send an e-mail message containing your name and postal address to [email protected].
If you have provided us with your e-mail or postal mailing address, we may send you communications in order to inform you of events or activities at or related to the Museum that we believe may be of interest to you, or to alert you about sales or other promotional events at the Museum. If you do not want us to use your e-mail address to contact you for these purposes, you may send an e-mail message containing your name and postal address to [email protected], or simply opt out of the e-mail communication that you receive.
We may combine information you give to us online, in our stores or at the Museum or through our catalogs. We may also combine this information with publicly available information and information we received from or have cross-referenced with our third-party vendors and others. We use this combined information to enhance and personalize your shopping experience with us, to communicate with you about products or events that may be of interest to you, or for other promotional purposes.
For further details, please see the ‘about Hotjar’ section of Hotjar’s support site.
The Museum secure server software uses industry-standard Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption technology. SSL encodes your personal information, including credit card number, name, and address, as it travels over the Internet so that all transactions are secure. If you prefer, you may also place a Museum Store order by phone at 303.370.6000, 9:00 AM-5:00 PM (Mountain Time) Monday-Friday. For membership gifts, please call 303.370.6306 or e-mail [email protected] and for donations, please call 303.370.6450.
Your Data Privacy Rights and Our Practices
As per the Colorado Privacy Act (CPA), you as our customer have several rights regarding your personal data and we adhere to the following practices:
- Right to Access: You have the right to access the personal data that we have collected about you. To exercise this right, you can submit a verifiable consumer request by calling 303.370.6000.
- Right to Correction: If you believe that any personal data we hold about you is incorrect or incomplete, you have the right to request a correction. To do so, please contact us by calling 303.370.6000.
- Right to Deletion: You have the right to request deletion of your personal data, subject to certain exceptions. We commit to honor such requests, and in the case of a deletion request, we may anonymize the data to maintain the integrity of our records while protecting your privacy. To exercise this right, you can submit a verifiable consumer request by calling 303.370.6000.
We also commit to the following data usage practices:
- Opt-Out Practices: We respect your right to opt out of data processing activities. This includes opting out of the processing of your personal data for purposes of targeted advertising, sale, or profiling.
- Direct Mail Marketing: We may use your personal data, including your postal address, for direct mail marketing purposes. You can opt out of this at any time by contacting us.
- Social Media Marketing: We may share your personal data, including your email address, with social media platforms for the purpose of targeted advertising or "Custom Audiences". If you prefer that we do not use your data for this purpose, you can opt out at any time.
- Data Security: We prioritize your data security. We use various security measures to protect your personal data, including secure servers, firewalls, and encryption of data. Our security measures are routinely updated in accordance with the latest technological developments.
- Universal Opt-Out: We understand and respect your right to privacy and data control. As part of our commitment to honoring this, we provide a universal opt-out option for all individuals. If you wish to exercise this right and opt out of any and all data collection, usage, or sharing, you can do so easily by clicking here or calling 303 370 6000. Upon receiving your request, we will promptly process your universal opt-out request, ensuring that your personal data is no longer used outside of essential business and legal requirements. Please note that following a universal opt-out, certain services or communications may be limited or unavailable to you.
We will respond to all verifiable requests within 45 days as required by the CPA.
Please be aware that we may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes, to complete any transactions that you began prior to your request, or for other purposes as required or permitted by law. We may still use anonymized or de-identified information that does not identify you individually for research, marketing, analytics, or other purposes.
Remember that you can always update your privacy settings and information by contacting us at [email protected].
Contact the Museum